Saturday, July 25, 2009

Memories of Kandinsky

I'm back from another week away, this time a class at Brockville's St. Lawrence College. Jennifer Lawton's approach to large and lush representations of photographic close ups had me revisiting some of my earlier approaches to abstraction. The above piece in acrylic (30 X 30") is reminscent of Kandinsky's improvisations I think, though that was not my intent when I started on it. It needs some more work, something looks unresolved. Perhaps some music may help me complete this piece. As Kandinsky said:
Color is the keyboard, the eyes are the harmonies, the soul is the piano
with many strings. The artist is the hand that plays, touching one key or
another, to cause vibrations in the soul.


2 comments:

Silverbear said...

Yes... I think I know what you mean, There is quite a bit of activity at the lower half, and a more contemplative arrangement at the top half. The top section reminds me of Arshile Gorky. Thinly stretched lines encompassing and crossing subdued colour.
The white swatchs - piano keys??
Nicely done.
BTW - I was unable to access your links.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you have been having another session of art workshops...must have been quite inspiring!