Sunday, July 12, 2009

Leonard please call

How the light gets in, Homage to Leonard Cohen 24 X 36

I frequently listen to Leonard Cohen as I paint, and while a friend says his work features music to slit your wrists by, I think he sings of hope, for the most part. Take his song Anthem. Despite the mess we may find ourselves in there is always some hope, a crack in the darkness, a crack in the universe where the light gets in. The painting above is in the current eee group show. It is called "How the light gets in, Homage to Leonard Cohen"
I recently saw Leonard perform and he was breathtakingly impressive. I want to have an art show, an homage to Leonard Cohen. Artists would respond visually to his music and prose. I've written to his management folks in NYC and I managed to get a flower and card to him on stage when he was here in Kingston. So far no reponse. Leonard, I'm waiting, you have my number!

1 comment:

Silverbear said...

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in.

You've managed to capture the message of this song. Also one of my favourites, it expresses hope and redemption. There is a rainbow of emotive response displayed here.
I'm sure that Leonard is watching...and listening.....
Lots of yellow in this sunburst - hinting at a renaissance.